Major fair payment and mental health initiative launches
27 construction bodies backing major industry-wide survey
12 September 2019
A major new payment and mental health survey has been launched by 27 bodies in the UK construction industry, to understand how poor payment practices are impacting mental health and business wellbeing.
The survey is being run by leading engineering services trade bodies ECA and BESA, in association with the Prompt Payment Directory.
The survey can be completed here - www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PLV22QP
ECA Director of Legal and Business Rob Driscoll commented:
“Mental health is an increasingly important - and costly - issue in both construction and wider society.
“This major initiative from ECA and BESA aims to connect the dots between poor payment practices and the impact on the mental health of business owners and senior managers, along with the wider impacts on other employees and their families.
BESA Head of Legal and Commercial Debbie Petford commented:
“Poor mental health is bad for wellbeing and bad for business. The survey is an important next step in the campaign to reform retentions and the late payment culture in the industry. It will help us gain an understanding of the human costs of these practices, that are often overlooked.”
The survey, which is aimed mainly at business owners, CEOs and managers, contains just 12 questions and should take just minutes to complete. It runs from Thursday 12 September – Thursday 10 October, and answers are completely confidential.
Survey supporters cover a range of construction activity, including electrical, plumbing, building, scaffolding, roofing, civil engineering, fire safety, painting and decorating, and interiors. They include the National Federation of Builders, SEC Group and FETA (see below for full list).
The survey supporters are all part of a wider industry coalition pressing Government to reform the practice of cash retentions in in construction. Cash retentions is widely considered to be one of the most unfair and abused payment practices in the industry.
Full list of supporting construction industry organisations:
- Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (ARCA)
- Association of British Certification Bodies (ABCB)
- Association of Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Specialists (AGS)
- British Blind and Shutter Association
- British Coatings Federation
- British Constructional Steelwork Association (BCSA)
- British Drilling Association (BDA)
- Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors
- Confederation of Construction Specialists
- Confederation of Roofing Contractors
- Federation of Environmental Trade Associations (FETA)
- Fire & Security Association (FSA)
- Modular and Portable Building Association (MPBA)
- National Federation of Builders (NFB)
- Refrigeration Compliance (REFCOM)
- Scaffolding Association
- Scottish & Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers’ Federation (SNIPEF)
- SEC Group
- Single Ply Roofing Association