Just three months to go before EAS 2020…
The January 2020 edition of the industry Electrotechnical Assessment Specification (EAS 2020) comes into effect on 1 September 2020.
03 June 2020
EAS 2020 sets out the minimum requirements for an Enterprise to be recognised by a Certification or Registration Body (e.g. NICEIC or Elecsa) as technically competent to undertake design, construction, maintenance, verification and/or inspection and testing.
Among its requirements, EAS 2020 introduces the following:
Businesses who undergo assessment by a recognised Certification or Registration Body are advised to assess their current arrangements against the EAS 2020 assessment requirements, in good time.
- Updated definitions, and new definitions for Employed Persons
- A requirement (clause 12.2) for professional indemnity insurance where the scope of the Assessment Certificate includes work category A.2 (Periodic Inspection and testing) as defined in Appendix 1 (see below);
- Section 16 has been expanded regarding the Records required to be held by an Assessed Enterprise;
- Appendix 1 has been expanded to include new categories of Electrotechnical work regarding periodic inspection and testing.
- Appendix 4 has been updated and renamed. Appendix 4A specifies requirements valid from 1st September 2020 until 31st August 2021. Appendix 4B specifies requirements valid from 1st September 2021. Both sections now specify the requirements for persons undertaking periodic inspection and testing work.
- Appendix 11 has been added to provide guidance on demonstrating the competence of Employed Persons.
The full and definitive text of EAS 2020 is at: https://electrical.theiet.org/bs-7671/building-regulations/electrotechnical-assessment-specification/