Skip to main content
Find a member Join

Fast-track to ECA membership

Electricians carrying out work in England and Wales have to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations. Contractors registered with a government approved Competent Persons scheme can self certify that their work meets the standards set out within these regulations. 

The ECA recognises two Part P schemes which can fast track you into ECA Membership.


Remember! - As an ECA Member, your work is also covered by the ECA Guarantee, Warranty and Bond. Once you’re a member of the ECA your customer will have added assurance that you are fully backed by your industry trade association.

If you are registered with a Part P Competent Persons Scheme you can sign off work to say that it meets the required standards.

Once you notify your Part P scheme provider, the dwelling owner will then be sent a certificate to confirm that the work has been carried out.  Electrical contractors assessed to the requirements of BS7671, but not registered with a Part P scheme, can still carry out work within domestic dwellings. However, the dwelling owner will need to arrange for their local Building Control Officer to inspect the work carried out.

In simple terms, by using a contractor who is registered on a Part P Buildings Regulations Competent Person Scheme means that dwelling owners don’t have to get a local council or private approved building inspector to check your work ie. no need for them to wait or pay building control fees.

Want to find out more? Submit an ECA Membership enquiry >