Skip to main content

Domestic Electrical Work

The ECA recognises the NICEIC Domestic Installer Scheme (also known as a Competent Persons scheme), helping installers comply with Part P of the Building Regulations. The scheme is delivered by Certsure, an LLP partnership that is collectively owned by the ECA and Electrical Safety First (ESF). 

Inviting Domestic Electrical Installers to ECA Membership

Domestic electrical installations form an important and large part of the electrical contracting industry, and in many cases can be just as complex and involved as installations in commercial and industrial fields. 

Regardless of whether self certification is required for work in dwellings, the ECA provides full support and practical hands-on advice to its members involved with domestic installations, including; Building Regulation issues, certification, notification advice, design, problem solving and diagnostics – as well as the myriad of new, and emerging technologies associated with ‘smart homes’.

The ECA recognises the NICEIC Domestic Installer Scheme which can fast track you into ECA Membership.


Already certified with NICEIC?

Your business could be eligible to join the ECA through our deem-to-satisfy route.Submit an ECA Membership enquiry.

Remember! - As an ECA Member, your work is also covered by the ECA Guarantee of Works and Bond. Once you’re a member of the ECA your clients will have added assurance that you are fully backed by ECA.

More about Part P

Electricians carrying out work in England and Wales have to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations. Contractors registered with a government approved Competent Persons scheme can self certify that their work meets the standards set out within these regulations. 

If you are registered with a Part P Competent Persons Scheme you can sign off work to say that it meets the required standards. Once you notify your Part P scheme provider, the dwelling owner will then be sent a certificate to confirm that the work has been carried out.  Electrical contractors assessed to the requirements of BS7671, but not registered with a Part P scheme, can still carry out work within domestic dwellings. However, the dwelling owner will need to arrange for their local Building Control Officer to inspect the work carried out.

In simple terms, by using a contractor who is registered on a Part P Buildings Regulations Competent Person Scheme means that dwelling owners don’t have to get a local council or private approved building inspector to check your work ie. no need for them to wait or pay building control fees.