Leading fire and security sector body FSA has welcomed the launch of a major new engineering services alliance. The alliance - Actuate UK - launched on February 10 in a virtual industry event supported by leading figures from UK and devolved government, the construction industry, and public and commercial sector clients.
Actuate UK brings together leading trade, technology, research and professional bodies to deliver a single, consolidated voice for the engineering services sector.
Delivering post-Grenfell Building Safety and developing sector skills are two of four priority strategic themes selected by the new alliance. Actuate UK will aim to lead the sector’s response to the Building Safety agenda and the FSA will help to provide direction on technology, systems and skills, and to champion the culture changes necessary to improve fire safety in the built environment.
Fire and Security Association Chair Tom Brooks said:
“Actuate UK will provide a single and stronger voice for the engineering services sector, and fire and security systems design, installation and maintenance have a vitally important role to play. The FSA will be actively assisting with the new alliance’s priority theme of Building Safety, to enable a step change in the fire safety performance of residential and commercial buildings.”
In support of the new alliance, Construction Minister Anne-Marie Trevelyan said:
“…maintaining staunch safety standards should be right at the heart of the UK built environment sector’s work. I look forward to working with the alliance through the Construction Leadership Council, as we examine the issues and opportunities facing the sector and wider economy.”
The new Actuate UK engineering sector alliance includes:
- ECA – Electrical and Engineering Services/FSA – The Fire and Security Association
- The Building Engineering and Services Association (BESA)
- The Building Services Research and Information Association (BSRIA)
- The Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)
- The Federation of Environmental Trade Associations (FETA), which includes the BCIA
- The Lift and Escalator Industry Association (LEIA)
- SELECT – the Electrical Contractors’ Association of Scotland
- SNIPEF – The Scottish and Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers’ Federation